Off To College We Go!!!
Now is the time of year that you are going to leave the comfort and security of your parents home and move into a whole new world. It can be exciting but also very overwhelming and stressful.You will be going to live in new place with people you don’t know, making new friends as well as experiencing deadlines like you never have before. Here are some tips from "The Container Store" to help you make the transition less stressful and more enjoyable.
|make a list
- By making a list of items you want to take to school, you’re less likely to forget something important.
- It’s not necessary to list and pack certain things, like your winter sweaters, if you’ll be coming home for a visit shortly after school begins.
- Make sure you include items that might not be so obvious, like cleaning supplies, a sewing kit, tools, plastic dinnerware and silverware.
- Include toiletries and linens that you know you’ll need. And you’ll want photos or special keepsakes that will make your new space feel like home.
|things to do
- Let your friends and family know your new mailing address, phone number and email address. Update your address book with their information.
- If you have a cell phone, make sure your plan will cover any long distance charges you might incur while at school.
- You may need to secure a calling card to make long distance calls from campus — check with the housing office.
- You may want to open a local bank account.
- Back up important computer files and leave an extra copy at home.
- Check with the housing office about guidelines for electronic equipment and appliances.
- Communicate with your roommate about who will bring shared items such as a microwave, refrigerator and television.
- Label items like CDs and reference books that you are likely to lend to other students. It’s always a good idea to label your clothes in case of a mix-up at the Laundromat.
- If you have a car, have it serviced before leaving for campus.
|prepare to pack
- Pack everything you can inside storage containers. This will save on the number of moving boxes you’ll need. Plus, you can use the containers once you get to school to organize your belongings.
- If you’re driving to campus, use collapsible containers to pack your things. You can use them to store stuff at school or fold them down for easy storage.
- If you’re shipping most of your things to campus, make sure to use the proper packing materials and shipping boxes to protect your belongings. Insure the contents of the boxes and always include an extra address label inside each box.